Decorating doesn’t follow any hard and fast rules, you can explore, dream and get inspired where you will. Be as creative as you like and follow your intuition. However if you don’t happen to trust your intuition there are some guidelines you can follow that won’t steer you wrong. Here are 12 tips for decorating any room and get it right every time.
Here are 12 tips for decorating any room:
- Leave space around your furniture, be able to move around your room easily, it’s not an obstacle course. Get fewer pieces but opt for those that are well made and elegant.
- Hang artwork at eye level, art is meant to be hung where the eye can see it and not 8 feet in the air and over your head. Hang your art, roughly 5 feet from the floor. Here is a video showing you how to properly hang pictures.
- Get rid of the art or knick knacks that don’t blend with the room
- Create a focal point in the room and work from there, keep all the other items secondary so you don’t end up with a cluttered room.
- When picking your focal point make sure it is within the line of sight of the other rooms. The best place to stage a focal point is across from the entrance to the room.
- Don’t make everything match, things should work together but not be too monochromatic or theme-y.
- Learn how to place an area rug and arrange furniture on top of it. You can put furniture legs on area rugs and it makes your room look good, however leave at least 18 inches of floor surface around the border of the rug.
- Vary the scale and proportion of the items in the room, bear in mind when you are buying furniture that what looks good in the store may not work inside your home.
- Use light strategically, add light at different levels to create layers. Lower lighting can change the ambience of the room entirely.
- Select your paint color after you have picked the furniture and decorative items. There are tons of paint shades to choose from and it’s easier to find the right color after the room is set up.
- Be bold in your choices. Don’t be afraid of bold colors and making a statement, choose unusual pieces of art and make them work for you. Let your personality shine through in how you decorate the room.
- Let creativity rule the day, having a few guidelines is a good place to start from but find things that are personal, that are comfortable and bring you pleasure.